Health and wellness are key components to making your academic and personal experience at college both meaningful and successful. To avoid the potential hardship of medical expenses that may arise, we recommend that students maintain comprehensive health insurance coverage during your years at Bradley.
Though Bradley does not offer a formal student health insurance program, you should be aware of options that you have for health insurance coverage while attending Bradley University.
- Coverage under a parent’s employer insurance plan: For those under age 26, you may qualify to enroll as a dependent on the health insurance held by a parent. Please contact the employer for further details.
- Individual coverage through your state insurance marketplace: Coverage is available for individual enrollment through the insurance marketplace in the state in which you are a permanent resident. Visit healthcare.gov and complete the questionnaire to view plans that you may qualify for. Depending on your household income, you may also qualify for a subsidy for coverage purchased through your state marketplace.
- Individual health insurance plans available on the open market (outside of the official state marketplace)
As you consider your options, please keep in mind the following:
- PREMIUM: While many plans offer “cheaper” premiums, look at the deductibles, copays, and coinsurance as lower premiums frequently result in higher out-of-pocket costs and limited networks. Before making your decision, consider your entire potential out-of-pocket cost to determine the best value for your individual needs.
- NETWORK: Does the network for the Plan extend to the Peoria IL region? Are the doctors you already see considered in-network? If you are an out-of-state student, pay special attention to networks that offer limited HMO networks as these will likely not cover you in Illinois.
- DEDUCTIBLE (the amount you must pay before insurance coverage begins): Is this an amount you are prepared to pay before coverage can be accessed?
- COINSURANCE (the amount insurance pays after the deductible is met): Be aware of this coverage as you are responsible for the amount after coinsurance is applied. So if your plan has 70% coinsurance, you would be responsible for the remaining 30%.
- COPAYS: What is your copay for a doctor’s office visit? Specialist visit? ER Visit? Prescription Drugs?
While participating in international educational programs or activities, it's important you are covered by a quality health insurance plan. The Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk ISS Plans offer the coverage that you need when away from your home country.
All international students, scholars, or other persons with a current passport who: 1) are engaged in educational activities; and 2) are temporarily located outside his/her home country as a non-resident alien; and 3) have not enrolled in an English language or similar program or an Optional Practical Training Program or with an F or J visa are also eligible to enroll in the plan. The named insured must actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days after the date which coverage is purchased with the exception of those with a J visa or those engaged in an Optional Practical Training Program.
Plan Highlights Include:
- Bronze, Silver, and Gold plan options which allow you to choose a plan that meets your needs
- Choose your coverage dates with a 6-month minimum
- Worldwide 24-hour Assistance Services including medical evacuation and repatriation
For more information or to enroll online, visit gallagherstudent.com/iss. Please refer to the Benefit Highlight Flyers under 'My Benefits and Plan Information' for complete details of coverage, exclusions and limitations. Please note: There are no refunds for these plans. All payments are non-refundable. New ISS rates will be available as of 7/1, but students can enroll at any time.
Tuition insurance is an optional insurance plan designed to meet the needs of students to protect their investment in higher education.
Tuition Insurance provides insurance coverage (up to the purchased policy limit) for losses incurred if students are forced to withdraw from school due to a medical event such as a covered accident, injury or illness. For additional information, please visit libertymutual.com/tuitioninsurance.
Note: Tuition insurance must be purchased prior to the first day of classes for the fall or spring term(s).