Fine Arts Minor
The College offers a minor in fine arts that includes courses in the appreciation, history, and practice of the arts. The minor is intended for students with an interest in the fine arts who would benefit from an approach encompassing art, music, and theatre. Students will find the minor a way to discover – or rediscover – the importance of the arts in society and in their personal lives.
- Appreciation of the Arts - 6 hours
Select two of the following courses in addition to the general education fine arts requirement.
- ART 131 Art Appreciation - 3 hrs.
- MUS 109 Music Appreciation- 3 hrs.
- THE 121 Creative Process of Theatre, or THE 131 Introduction to Theatre - 3 hrs.
- THE 141 Film Appreciation - 3 hrs.
- History and Practice of the Arts - 12 hours
- History (limit 2 courses selected from the following):
- ART 140, 142, 243, 245, 330, 340, 350, 360, 375, 380, 390, or 470 - 3 hrs.
- MUS 203, 235, 236, 335, 336 - 3 hrs.
- THE 336, 337, or 338 - 3 hrs.
- Practice of the Arts (minimum 6 hours)
Select in consultation with advisor for fine arts minor from studio arts courses, music performance courses, and theatre performance and production courses.
- CFA 421 Art and the Creative Imagination - 3 hours
Total Hours Required for Minor: 21
- Courses taken to satisfy the fine arts general education requirement or requirements in a student’s major or other minor may not apply to this minor.
- Six semester hours must be at the 300 level or above.
- Courses are to be selected in consultation with the Slane College of Communication and Fine Arts Associate Dean, the fine arts minor advisor.