William (Bill) McDowell
Director of Business and Nonprofit Partnerships, Bradley University; Executive/Academic Director; Turner Endowed Chair of Entrepreneurship
Business and Engineering Convergence Center 3134
Ph.D., Management, University of North Texas
M.B.A., California State University, Dominguez Hills
B.S., Southwestern Christian University
The opportunity to be involved in students’ lives through higher education in the area of entrepreneurship is a great responsibility and privilege not to be taken lightly. In the classroom with the student, and later in life with the graduate, I strive to prepare my students for life in existing firms or in new ventures. The terms Think, Value, Communicate, and Lead highlight the areas that I see as important when educating these business students for success. I have built my teaching philosophy around these action words that I aspire my students to grasp.
- Think. I want my students to learn to think about their education, their situations, their environment, their strengths and their weaknesses.
- Value. I want my students to learn about the value of resources, collaboration, and their educational opportunities both in the classroom and in the workplace.
- Communicate. If a student cannot communicate effectively when they finish their college career, then we have failed to prepare them effectively for their own future.
- Lead. Ultimately, we want to teach our students how to lead. I want each of these students to be empowered to lead in whatever situation they may face.
Students to me are much more than just a number, they represent an opportunity to be engaged in the process of developing people. I highly value this opportunity, and I make it my mission to make the learning process that they are going through as positive, compelling, and opportunistic as possible. The greatest moments of my professional career do not come from another journal publication acceptance letter, they come from seeing a student seizing on the opportunity for personal growth and grasping the entrepreneurial spirit.
- Entrepreneurial Experience
- Family Business
Recently Published Articles:
- Irwin, K., Gilstrap, C., McDowell, W.C., Drnevich, P., & Gorbett, A. (in press, 2021). How knowledge and uncertainty affect strategic international business investment decisions: Implications for cross-border mergers and acquisitions. Journal of Business Research.
- Davis, J., Fodor, A., Perkins, P., McDowell, W.C., Batchelor, J. (in press, 2021). Status anxiety and executive decision making: Financial implications of reactions to unethical behavior. European Journal of International Management.
- Burch, G., Burch, J., Batchelor, J., & McDowell, W. C. (in press, 2021). Disengagement factors associated with creativity in organizations: A conceptual framework. European Journal of International Management.
- Goduscheit, R.C, Khanin, D., Mahto, R.V., & McDowell, W.C. (2021). Structural holes and social entrepreneurs as altruistic brokers. Journal of Innovation and Knowledge. 6(2), 103-111.
- Ferreira, J.J., Fernandes, C.I., Kraus, S., McDowell, W.C. (2021). Moderating influences on the entrepreneurial orientation: Business performance relationship in SMEs. The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation. https://doi:10.1177/14657503211018109
- Davis, P.E., Bendickson, J.S., Muldoon, J., & McDowell, W.C. (2021). Agency theory utility and social entrepreneurship: Issues of identity and role conflict. Review of Managerial Science. 15, 2299-2318. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11846-020-00423-y
- Kraus, S., McDowell, W.C., Ribeiro-Soriano, D.E., Rodriguez-Garcia, M. (2021). The role of innovation and knowledge for entrepreneurship and regional development. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 33(3-4), 175-184.
- Solomon, S.J., Bendickson, J.S., Marvel, M.R., McDowell, W.C., & Mahto, R.V. (2021). Agency theory and entrepreneurship: A cross country analysis. Journal of Business Research, 122, 466-476.
- Slatten, L., Bendickson, J., Diamond, M. & McDowell, W.C. (2021). Staffing of Small Nonprofit Organizations: A Model for Retaining Employees. Journal of Innovation and Knowledge. 6(1), 50-57.
- Khanin, D., Turel, O. Bart, C., McDowell, W.C., Hock-Dopgen, M. (2021). The possible pitfalls of boards’ engagement in the strategic management process. Review of Managerial Science. 15, 1071-1093.
- Manley, S.C., Hair Jr., J.F., Williams, R.I., & McDowell, W.C. (2020). Essential new PLS-SEM analysis methods for your entrepreneurship analytical toolbox. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal.
- Mahto, R, McDowell, W.C., & Davis, P. (2020). Influence and values: The connection between participation and commitment in family firms. Journal of Business Research, 112, 354-362.
- Bendickson, J., Irwin, J.G., Cowden, B.J., McDowell, W.C. (2020). Entrepreneurial ecosystem knowledge spillover in the face of institutional voids: groups issues and actions. Knowledge Management Research and Practice.
- Gur, F.A., Bendickson, J.S., Madden, L., & McDowell, W.C. (2020). Entrepreneurial Opportunity Recognition in the Face of Disasters. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 26(4), 671-693.
- Kudlats, J., & McDowell, W. C. (in press, 2020). Ethics and family commitment: A study of their relationship to family firm performance. Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship.
- Burch, G., Burch, J., Batchelor, J., & McDowell, W. C. (in press, 2020). Disengagement factors associated with creativity in organizations: A conceptual framework. European Journal of International Management.
- Mahto, R. V., Vora, G., McDowell, W. C., & Khanin, D. (2020). Family member commitment, the opportunity costs of staying, and turnover intentions. Journal of Business Research, 108, 9-19.
- Su, Z., Aaron, J. R., McDowell, W. C., & Lu, D. D. (2019). Sustainable Synergies between the Cultural and Tourism Industries: An Efficiency Evaluation Perspective. Sustainability, 11(23), 6607.
- Khanin, D., Rakshit, A., Mahto, R. V., & McDowell, W. C. (2019). An Ongoing race: family CEOs vs. non-family CEOs. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 1-21.
- Williams Jr, R. I., Smith, A., Aaron, J. R., Manley, S. C., & McDowell, W. C. (2019). Small business strategic management practices and performance: A configurational approach. Economic research-Ekonomska istraživanja, 1-19.
- Dunne, T. C., Clark, B. B., Berns, J. P, & McDowell, W. C. (2019). The technology bias in entrepreneur-investor negotiations. Journal of Business Research, 105, 258-269.
- McDowell, W. C., Matthews, L. M., Matthews, R. L., Aaron, J. R., Edmondson, D. R., & Ward, C. B. (2019). The price of success: Balancing the effects of entrepreneurial commitment, work-family conflict, and emotional exhaustion on job satisfaction. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 15, 1179-1192.
- Kudlats, J., McDowell, W. C., & Mahto, R. V. (2019). Unrelated but together: Trust and intergroup relations in multi-family businesses. Journal of Business Research, 101, 750-756.
- Mahto, R. V., Chen, J. S., McDowell, W. C., & Ahluwalia, S. (2019). Shared Identity, Family Influence, and the Transgenerational Intentions in Family Firms. Sustainability, 11(4), 1130-1145
- Liguori, E., Bendickson, J., Solomon, S., & McDowell, W. C. (2019). Development of a multi-dimensional measure for assessing entrepreneurial ecosystems. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 31(1-2), 7-21.
Recently Published Book Chapters:
- Mahto, R.V., & McDowell, W.C. (in press, 2018). Internet of things (IoT) and entrepreneurship education: Opportunities and challenges. In C.H. Matthews & E. Liguori (Eds.), Annals of Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy, 3rd Ed. Edgar Elgar Publishing, Ltd.
- Peake, W. O., McDowell, W. C., Harris, M. L., & Davis, P. (in press, 2017). Can women entrepreneurs plan to prosper? Exploring the role of gender as a moderator of the planning-performance relationship. In D. Ribeiro (Ed.), Inside the Mind of the Entreprneur.
- Dewees, C., & McDowell, W.C. (2016). Developing a business plan for a midwifery practice. In J. Slager (Ed.), An Administrative Manual for Midwifery Practices (27-36). Silver Springs, MD: American College of Nurse-Midwives.
- Peoria County Advisory Committee for Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development (2021 – Present)
- Central Illinois Living Laboratory (2021 – Present)
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Small Business Strategy, 2015 - Present
- Turner Chair of Entrepreneurship, 2017 - Present
- Editorial Review Board Member, Journal of Innovation and Knowledge, 2015 - Present
- Board of Governors, Global Innovation and Knowledge Academy, 2015 - Present
- Plenary Speaker, Global Innovation and Knowledge Academy, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Past President, Small Business Institute
- Mini-Midwifery Business Institute Presenter, 2008 - Present
- Provided Testimony to the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Small Business
- Associate Editor, Journal of Business Research, 2020 – Present
- Associate Editor, International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 2018 – Present
- Showcase Award, Small Business Institute (2019)
- Fellow, Small Business Institute (2018)
- Best Paper Award, Global Innovation and Knowledge Academy (2018)
- Best Paper Award, Global Innovation and Knowledge Academy (2017)
- Homer L. Saunders Mentor Award, Small Business Institute® (2016)
- Best Empirical Paper Award, Small Business Institute® (2015)
- Best Research Paper Award, Association of Small Business and Entrepreneurship. (2014)
- Best Research Paper Award, Small Business Institute® (2011 and 2013)
- Project of the Year Award, Small Business Institute® (2011 and 2013)
- Presented with the East Carolina University College of Business Commerce Club Faculty Teaching Award East Carolina College of Business Commerce Club (2012)